While we naturals love our curls, coils, and kinks, every now and again, we like to switch it up. Many of us do not go the sleek and sexy route because we think that straightening our natural hair automatically means that it will be heat damaged. Luckily, this is not true. It’s just that when we do straighten our hair, we need to be straightening it with a quality flat iron and be careful not to overuse it.
So what is the best flat iron for natural hair? I answer emphatically The HSI Professional Glider. This flat iron is great for natural hair, and I will tell you exactly why. Just keep on reading!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. As a caring, ethical person, I only recommend products that I believe will truly help you in your natural hair journey!
Features at a Glance
The HSI Professional Glider flat iron has a bunch of cool features, including:
- 1- inch Tourmaline/ceramic ion plates
- Full temperature control (140 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Micro-sensors for even distribution of heat
- 360-degree swivel cord
- Included with purchase:
- HSI Professional Glider flat iron
- Heat resistant gloves (one pair)
- Argan oil leave-in treatment sample
- Storage pouch for travel
The Good and the Not So Good
- The results are silky smooth, so smooth that people will think that you went to see a professional hair stylist. I have not seen better results from any other straightener.
- The adjustable heat controls featured on the HSI Professional Glider allow users to choose the lowest heat setting that will get the job done. When you are straightening natural hair, temperature control is important. Flat irons that have only one or two heat settings are not good for natural hair, because the manufacturer’s heat setting might be too high for your hair to handle and this leads to heat damage (a problem most would avoid at all cost). This feature is also great for using the flat iron on multiple hair textures. If your hair is very fine, you will want to set the heat control lower – on the other hand, if your hair is more coarse and thick, you have the option to crank the temperature up higher.
- The plates are tourmaline and ceramic, which eliminate the possibility of hot spots on the plates (leading to BURNT HAIR), and ensure that the plates are extremely smooth, reducing the chance that your hair will get snagged while passing the flat iron over your hair.
- Micro-sensors ensure even heat distribution across the flat iron’s plates. This is SO important. If the flat iron did not provide even heat distribution, you might find that you need to go over the same section of hair multiple times, increasing the risk of heat damage, split ends, dryness (and the list goes on and on). But since the HSI Professional Glider utilizes these sensors, you can set the right temperature for your hair, go over the section with the flat iron one time and then move on to the next section.
- It comes with extras! Who wouldn’t like an oil treatment, a storage pouch, and heat-resistant gloves with a flat iron purchase?…… I’ll wait.
- The price is phenomenally low.
The Not So Good
- The adjustable heat controls are not digital. While you can adjust the temperature of the flat iron to your liking (which is great), there will be a learning curve when determining how far to adjust the temperature since you can’t see the actual temperatures (not so great).
- While an argan oil treatment is good to have, I would have liked to see a heat protectant included versus an oil treatment, being that the hair needs to be protected from the heat of the flat iron.
The HSI Professional Glider straightener comes with a 1-year warranty. And you can purchase additional years of protection.
My Final Thoughts
My sister and I have spoken about this flat iron numerous times, as we both have natural hair and LOVE this flat iron. This flat iron offers everything for us naturals, and we get it for a low price.
I can sing praises about this flat iron all day long, but the only way to know for sure if it’s right for you is to try it. While this product is a fantastic option in general for natural haired folks, you would need to try it to see if it is right for YOUR natural hair.
If you have any questions or comments, you are welcome to share them below this post!
If you have a more personal concern, you can contact me directly using the Contact Us page 🙂